Conscious steps every leader can take
Business leaders are facing unprecedented demands that awaken us to the new dawn of leadership. Technological advancement is outpacing our agility to adapt, global conflict and competition is intensifying, generational shifts in the workplace are challenging conventional organizational culture and emerging attitudes about corporate responsibilities are putting pressure on traditional authoritative and hierarchical leadership. In this article, we discuss what it means to consciously lead your organisation through radical change in these challenging times.
“The signature characteristic of our time is the pace of change. After 13.5 billion years of evolution, change went hypercritical in our lifetime. The world is changing faster than companies can become resilient.”
Gary Hamel, Time for Management 2.0
“When you become comfortable with uncertainty, infinite possibilities open up in your life.”
Ekhart Tolle, A New Earth
Conscious steps every leader can take
So what practical steps can we take to become more conscious leaders? At Support Legal, we encourage every leader to embrace behaviours that honour the journey of learning and growth.
- Immerse yourself in the right mindset: We often focus our attentions on outward factors like what people might think or say, what reaction we may attract, what choices others make. Factors that we simply cannot control. A conscious leader focuses purely on what s/he can control; one’s own behaviour. A person makes 35,000 choices a day. That’s 35,000 opportunities to select what you think, what you say and how you make others feel.
- Uncover your limiting assumptions: Fill a glass of water and observe it. Where are your eyes drawn; to the part that is half full or half empty? Is that a constant way for you or are you labouring amidst a temporary of caged animal? And what is it that’s holding you back? Uncover that, and switch it to a positive enabling statement. “I can’t possibly give up my salary” becomes, “When I am self-employed, I will……”.
- Remove toxic elements that hold you back: Why do we tolerate what harms us? Why do we spend time protecting the very things that cause us discomfort, suffering or pain? Like toxic behaviour, narcissistic bosses, punishing lifestyles? If you want to make a change, start by removing toxic elements from your life and replace them with the right people and the right habits that enable you to shine bright every day.
- Formulate your vision and success criteria: How do we know what to change if we don’t know where we’re going? Formulating a clear purpose and vision for yourself is the first step to take in changing your course. You can ask: “Where do I feel my highest good?” or “What would my best life look like?”. Be specific about what you want and know that asking for it is the first step towards making it happen.
- Have a plan broken down into steps: The toughest aspect of embracing change is observing the vast stretch of uncertainty that lies ahead. So, break it down. Rather than obsess about the enormity of the whole, focus on 3 or 4 steps at a time that you can meaningfully fulfil that propel you forward in the direction you wish to go. And build momentum as you glide.
- Adopt a mindset of growth and experimentation: It’s common for successful lawyers to sit in fixed mindset. Why change anything when they are doing so well the way they are? Well, that depends on your definition of fulfilment. If fulfilment for you is status quo and surrendering to the law of diminishing marginal utility; no need to do anything. But if fulfilment for you is aligning your life to conscious living, find ways to discover, experiment and play.
- Seek out help and support: Do you suffer in silence? Become increasingly introspective regarding perceived misalignment between your career aspirations and reality? You don’t always need to take the hard path, you know. You can reach out to others – mentors, sponsors, coaches – who offer you alternative perspectives and guidance. Who can empathise with your situation and help you navigate the path ahead. It’s never weak to ask; it’s brave to seek.
About Support Legal
We are the Future of Law. We offer a fresh approach to the delivery of legal services with our innovative pricing model, cutting-edge technology and our team of top-tier lawyers, covering multiple legal disciplines.
We are an award-winning New Law practice, operating across Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and the Americas.